Warning





This is an adult site and anyone under the legal age of their respective jurisdiction should leave the blog immediately.


Pictures are sourced from the internet and where possible ownership of them is acknowledged. If you own a picture and want it removed, please contact me.


View my other blog, "Slave himar" at http://slavehimar.bdsmlr.com

Saturday 27 June 2020

ARLES

The Roman amphitheatre and adjacent theatre in Arles, France are remarkable reminders of Roman Gaul and of its importance in the ancient Roman world. They are among the best preserved of Roman sites anywhere in Europe and I have been fortunate enough to visit them on several occasions and some years ago, I attended a concert held in this amphitheatre. As with other Roman sites, it is still used for that purpose and another concert I once attended was held in the Graeco-Roman theatre of Taormina in Sicily.

My interest in ancient Roman began with my very first Latin lesson and the first words I learnt - "Roma est magna". Those words resonated with me then and they still do today. I am fascinated by the life of these ancient people with whom we share so much. Of course, I am appalled by their incredible cruelty and total disregard for the suffering of their enslaved victims.

As I walked through the amphitheatre in Arles, which today is much as it was back in Roman times, I had a sense of the cruel gladiatorial combats and the barbaric treatment of so many slaves who, no doubt, worked in the building and suffered in the arena. After almost two millennia, you can sense their presence.  

Roman Gaul fascinates me and one of my favourite sites is the nearby ruins of Glanum which I discovered quite by chance when visiting the hospital where Vincent van Gogh spent time.


Picture found on the internet. Despite a search I couldn't find its origins.

1 comment:

  1. Chris I totally agree with your words.
    The incredible charm that emanates from the ruins of ancient Rome, is even more bewitching and thrilling in the many ruins of the great amphitheatres … in the Coliseum, in Arles, in Verona, in Pula etc.etc. …… at the thought of the countless acts of incredible sadism occurred there …… thousands of gladiators slaughtered for the cruel excitement and amusement of few cruel Lords and of a bestial populace …… thousands of poor slaves tortured to the death and barbarically executed in the performance of sadistic “shows” in which one or more characters ended up tortured and killed in the most atrocious ways, like the mythological legend of Marsyas and Apollo, or the one of Prometheus or the gruesome story of the bandit Laureoulus etc.etc.
    By the way, the view in this picture of the amphitheatre and the theatre of Arles, one close to the other, recalls to my mind that the richest Roman Lords had sometimes, in the immense parks of their vast villas, Private Arenas, for private fights of gladiators and of wrestling and boxing slaves, as well as private theatres.
    This was the case e.g. of the immensely rich ……. and immensely cruel with his poor slaves ! a true psychopathic sadist ! …… Vedius Pollio, a powerful courtier of August, in his huge luxurious villa in Naples.
    How many cruelties have certainly happened in particular in that Arena for the bloody amusement of the sadistic Vedius Pollio and of his ruthless guests and friends !

    Karel

    ReplyDelete